Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gratitude Day 13 - Grateful for My Car

Today I'm grateful for my car(s). The old girl 1995 Honda with 230k miles and the Scion with a little over 100k miles. Having the two cars means I can drive to work. I don't have to take public transportation. 

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against public transportation, in fact I use it to go into DC more often than not. I've used the bus and Metro before and it got me to where I needed to be, usually without issue. 

But today I'm grateful for my car because it's raining out and standing in the rain waiting for a bus would suck. I've done that before. I've also trodded through snow to get to a bus stop. 

I'm grateful for my car because it took me minimal time to get to work. I've done the ride a bus to another bus stop to take another bus to the Metro to get to another bus that will take me home and then walked home about 1/2 mile. Yes, it took about 2 1/2 hours, one way.

I'm also grateful for the money for gas. Although to take public transportation from where I live now to where I work now, it would cost about twice as much as I pay for gas. 

So yes, I'm grateful for that privilege and when it's time to buy a new car I will absolutely be looking at something environmentally friendly. 

No comments: