Monday, November 12, 2012

Gratitude Day 12 - Grateful for the Pain in My Ass

Yes, I have a pain in my ass. Literally! I have scoliosis and because of that my back and pelvis are not aligned optimally. So sometimes I get back pain, like a strained quadratus lumborum which isn't comfortable. Or I get tension headaches because the curve in my lower spine also causes issues in the upper spine, so my neck gets out of whack. Or I get a pain in my ass! Right now my gluteus medius is inflamed and strained. Basically, the curvature in my spine causes all kinds of muscle imbalances. Some are too strong and overdeveloped, some are too weak and underdeveloped. 

So why am I grateful for the pain in my ass? Because it reminds me that I have to be vigilant in keeping my body strong and flexible. I'm just like everyone else and when I'm feeling good it's easy to forget that the scoliosis is still there and just let the specific exercises and stretches slide. But I can't do that. I have to be consistent with these things to avoid pain. 


Pain teaches us that something in the body is wrong and we need to address it. There are a lot of people who ignore pain. Or when they are in pain just give up. And that's the exact opposite of what we have to do. 

Yes, it's uncomfortable to try and move through pain or address it. Yes, I would rather sleep 10 or 20 more minutes in the morning. BUT, and the big but is YES, I want to be able to do yoga, exercise, hike, bike, walk, stand, move on my own until the day I die.

So thank you inflamed, irritated and strained gluteus medius for reminding me that I need to get the hell up in the morning and do the things I need to do to stay strong. No excuses.

No comments: