Saturday, July 31, 2010

Trying Something New




















































I like to photograph bands. Of course, that all started because I like to photograph my hot, husband playing. But I can't only take pics of him. Don't want to slight anyone else, I mean it is a group effort after all.

When Shawn and I first started dating, I tried shooting a gig with my 35mm. And, got some great shots. On film no less. No way to check and see if it was all good. Couldn't take hundreds of pics because I had a roll of 24 or 36 shots.

Of course I've have since switched to digital. I love being able to play and experiment. But often, the lights at gigs suck. Either there aren't any or the light show that's there just isn't great. Often, there is this nasty red light that just covers everyone. And it burns everything out. I haven't quite figured out how to get around that. I could use my flash, and sometimes I do, but I just don't like the feel that the flash gives the photo.

Last weekend at Barberpaloozafest was no exception. Well, actually it was. The light show was worse than normal. The fellas had set it up so the lights were pointing right at the dudes rather than from above. Maybe that would have made a difference, I don't know. Anyway, so when I downloaded the pics, once the light show came on, everyone looked like a demon cuz they were all red or an Andy Warhol piece because they were all yellow.

I tried fiddling with curves and color balance and eventually I thought, what if I just take the color out of it. And viola! I actually LOVE the black and white rock photos. Why haven't I thought of this sooner?

Converting the photos to black and white gives them a whole new feel. A feel less about the show, the stage, the lights, the glamour and more about the musicians, a feeling of rawness and the grit of rock and roll. Now all I want to do is go back and do the same for photos over the last year or so.



No comments: