Tuesday, February 3, 2009

40 Days*























In my recent yoga training we were given a meditation to do for 40 days. I was vaguely familiar with the concept of 40 days but never really knew much about it. I knew it was kind of like the 21 day thing to form a new habit.

Basically it is a specific period of time that can affect change. 40 days is the time it takes to change energy or a habit. 90 days is the time it takes for the new habit or energy to be confirmed. After 120 days you become this new energy and after 1000 days you have mastered this energy.

Upon hearing that we would have to do a 40 day meditation, I have to admit my first thoughts were not another thing to do every day and I have a hard time committing to daily things so how am I going to get through this. The other thing is, if you miss a day you have to start over.

Clearly no one but me would know if I missed a day. But if I lied, I would be lying to myself more than anyone. I would not be living the yogic principle of
satya or truthfulness.

That 40 day meditation was one of the most effortless things I have ever done. In that 40 days, there was not one single day that I didn't want to sit down and do the meditation. The thought of skipping a day never entered my mind. It became habit almost instantly. There is something magic about 40 days.

Most recently I decided to give up coffee and sugary treats for 40 days. I over did both of these over the holidays and it was time to just stop for a while. On January 5 I started this 40 day diet. I am on day 31 and again it has been incredibly easy. I have not considered cheating at all. The house has still had coffee and treats but I have not indulged. I have not even had 1 jelly bean from that 4lb jug of jelly beans!

All of this is also part of the process of
Svadhyaya or self-study. Getting to know myself and my limitless capabilities. This is why I love yoga. Who would have thought it's this easy? 40 days, it's magic. That said on the day after my 40 days of no coffee and sugary treats I plan on rewarding myself with coffee and donuts!

No comments: